Share | 

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
ok...so now for the really fun part!! after taking the truck to the dealership and letting them spew what they do...

$5686.........

OMG...what the HELL are they smoking?? first off they wont honor the warranty...fine...actually im fine with that...seriously im fine with it...

but for them to tell me that i need to replace everything from the driveshaft flange all the way out to the rotors?

the whole third?
not just that? but all of the third...
the whole housing? the shafts?
the E locker?
the actuator?

I had some very nice things to say about the dealership that i took it to....i had said theywere a very good place to take your vehicles to...i have completely and totally changed my mind...

NO ONE will change my mind...anyone on here want to try to defend them up to you ...i will never as long as i draw breath ever take my vehicle to them for any reason whatso ever....i will drive way out of my way jsut so i dont go there...way what you will ...defend at your own peril...

$5686........WTF????? absolute highway robbery!!!!

Sad

I would try taking it to another dealership. That sounds completely unreasonable.

on a side note. I am glad you made it home safe and that you are okay Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd kick the guys butt that said you should turn around and try that particular line... Shocked

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm

MadToy wrote:
Damn. That means that half the FJ's running around out there now must have bent housings...... No

YEAH its a crock...

Here's another thing that bothers me...LOYALTY....I have bought the last three vehicles ; tacos, tundra and now FJ from that particular (Vann York Toyota) dealership... not to mention two other 80s model trucks when they were on the south end of high point...it means nothing to them..absolutely nothing...

And thanks Bobby..didn't have any issues driving home...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Scottydog wrote:
I'd kick the guys butt that said you should turn around and try that particular line... Shocked

SCOTTY !!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 12:44 pm

LMAO......

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm

A friend of mine worked in the service dept for a dealer. He said when it got slow, they were told to come up with expensive repairs that weren't necessary on every vehicle they could. Basically the old Jiffy Lube routine on a much higher level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Heck, by that rational, I too have a bent housing... Let me know if you need some help fixing this thing when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 12:00 am

I ordered a bearing press set for my 20 ton press if you want to bring the new shaft by and press the bearing on before oyu start working on it. Im only about 30 minutes from you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

im gonna be ordering the parts tomorrow (Wednesday) so hopefully i can have the stuff by this weekend...may actually drive down to ECGS and pick it up...
\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 am

i wont have my press parts till tuesday next week.

I can probably get my brother to press the bearings on at his shop saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 am

well we can talk about it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 12:21 am

one way or another a bearing will not stop a shaft from being replaced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 am

Come say hello, I am right down the street from ECGS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am

I will do that Casey if I end up driving down there to pick up parts...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

ok well the latest is this...i have found most of the parts for my fix of the rear axle...its gonna cost WAAAAAAAAAAY less than what the stealership was gonna charge me...like 5100 less!!!

looks like help will come in the form of friends from the forum...and that is worth more than any monetary amount ....

i will plan to do a HOW TO on how to change a broken axle on the FJ Cruiser... this will be good for anybody who may possibly do the same thing ...and it also crosses over to the 4th gen 4RNR...

stay tuned...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm

also crosses over to the ever single toyota 4x4 with a solid rear axle since the creation of toyota 4x4's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Some of this may help Mike....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/193828-step-step-removal-installation-e-locker-3rd-member.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks Nick...i appreciate it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Good luck Mike! I will look forward to the write up and can format it for you in a downloadable document attachment to place on the forum as well. Let me know and I am glad you are getting the help you need! The members here are truly great!!!

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....

Last edited by David B on Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 pm

just remember if I help fix it I get to help break it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 pm

LOL...i will say yes...but im lying....LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 am

crogers6569 wrote:
and the lesson I learned from mike is that 285/75/17 is too big for a 120 platform without big money.

Mike, Chad is right you should put your stock tires back on and give me your Km2's Very Happy

Plenty of folks running harder trails with big heavy tires on our platform out there. The KM2 is actually lighter for it's size when compared to other MT tires. Sometimes things break, can the tires be the issue, the skinny pedal, the axle, the locker, the obstacle or all of the above. Mike took the steepest part of the rock climb and had his rear passenger tire right against a 3-4 foot vertical rock wall with nowhere to go but slip, grab, spin repeat. I wouldn't say this was an easy spot Smile

Last edited by Darklight on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am

If you saw what Mike was doing to that ledge - there is no axle out there that could take much of that.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 am

MadToy wrote:
If you saw what Mike was doing to that ledge - there is no axle out there that could take much of that.....

TOO FUNNY!!! Thats really what it kind of looked liked in the pictures people posted.lol!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 pm

well if you all that were there remember that there was at least one more vehicle that did the same thing and broke...the wrangler that went up broke both front and rear axles...and he didnt even get to the top of that rock...the cherokees that did it were so close to comming over backwards it wasnt even funny....so for me to break there ...im not too upset bout it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   

Back to top Go down

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next