Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Some of you know what it is but most don't. If you do keep it to yourself! Will post pics as soon as it done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Will you have it by the 8th?
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

No, probably closer to Christmas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:55 pm

darn too bad you wont have whatever it is by the 8th...i bet its some skids...you keep beating the crap out of the underside of that lowrider...LOL...just kidding...cant wait to see what your getting...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
darn too bad you wont have whatever it is by the 8th...i bet its some skids...you keep beating the crap out of the underside of that lowrider...LOL...just kidding...cant wait to see what your getting...
Haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:19 pm

so whacha getting Derek?? any hints??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm

It's custom!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 pm

FJ Derek wrote:
It's custom!

is it spelled, "b-u-m-p-e-r?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

Hey now, it's higher than it used to be. I remember beer and wrenches and his rig rolling out higher than it started.

That said, my guess is bulletproof glass. Those stock skid plates and bumpers are stout, but that stock glass is extra weak Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 am

lol!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Sweet. I've witnessed a couple of those taking a good beating on Daniel Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:59 pm

MadToy wrote:
Sweet. I've witnessed a couple of those taking a good beating on Daniel Smile

yeah BT banged the living doodoo out of his going up the first ledge at Daniel...loud and hard enough to hear it half way down the hill there too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 am

Heck, BT's sporting the "factory reject" too isn't he? If his can take the beating, I know the rest won't have any problems!

Derek, that looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:15 am

Looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:30 am

Nice!!! And as stated we all know they hold up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:39 am

Okay, as you can see by my current no-protection setup, I clearly don't know a whole lot about these bumpers. Might be the wrong section, but I just want a quick answer... are these style bash plates as strong as something like an ARB or DO bumper? They seem to be more cost efficient, and look great still, but I'm just curious how MUCH they hold up. Gracias Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BT
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:40 pm

This video demonstrates the effectiveness of the bumper.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Yea I saw this video before and was wondering what kind of rash that bumper took, because you can't tell anything at the end of the video. By the way BT... you've got some serious videography skills, keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:01 pm

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
Okay, as you can see by my current no-protection setup, I clearly don't know a whole lot about these bumpers. Might be the wrong section, but I just want a quick answer... are these style bash plates as strong as something like an ARB or DO bumper? They seem to be more cost efficient, and look great still, but I'm just curious how MUCH they hold up. Gracias Smile
The plate itself is aluminum so its not going to offer much protection but the bumper is all steel tubing and not going to be compromised unless you hit a wall head on. I may be wrong but that's how confident I am with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:38 pm

BT wrote:
This video demonstrates the effectiveness of the bumper.

Rock on! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 pm

FJ Derek wrote:
The plate itself is aluminum so its not going to offer much protection but the bumper is all steel tubing and not going to be compromised unless you hit a wall head on. I may be wrong but that's how confident I am with it!

I hear ya, that's kind of what I had in mind too... the aluminum plates would be more for keeping bugs/birds/cats out of the radiator/engine compartment, and the tubing would be the main protection from anything. Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BT
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:40 pm

The way Mike engineered this thing is amazing. There was no damage to the bumper at all. There is a section under the aluminum that is made to take on impact!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Ahhhh nice! That's definitely good to know that there's support behind the plates
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:56 am

i think it may be time for me to chime in here...Glasgow...the "chin" is double plated 3/16 steel with what i call a waffle design. If you watch the video at around :58 BT backs off the ledge and bangs the crap out of the bumper and you can hear Nick (MadToy) say "who made that bumper." The plate continues underneath the lower radiator/cross member giving added protection to the front of the skid plate. The tubing is all 1 1/2" .120 wall tubing and reinforced both to the front and to the sides. BTs bumper is skinnier as it was the first design with no winch mount, my bumper and FJDereks bumper are the second design and incorporate a winch mount however FJDerek decided not to go with the actual winch mount (it can be added at any time). The aluminum skins are actually pretty darn strong. As you probably know aluminum is much more "elastic" than steel. If the skin hit anything it will "bounce" back. Yes it could bend...but to actually bend the aluminum it would take a butt load of of force. The bolts that attach the skin to the bumper are all stainless steel. there are 6 on the front skin and 3 on each side skin...
I will not say ever that you cant bend or screw up this bumper as no "IMPACT" is ever likely the same. I feel honestly though that it would take alot of punishment. Do I think that it is certainly better than stock? YES...Do I think that it is as good if not better than some mass produced bumpers out there? absolutely I do ...Do I think it is on par to a full built rock crawler buggy front bumper? obviously not! lol....

ok im done tooting my own horn...LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!   

Back to top Go down

FJ will be getting some new armor soon!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next