Share | 

Hi-lift jacks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Hi-lift jacks?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 am

When shopping for hi-lift jacks what exactly do you look for?
mainly what are advantages disadvantages of the various heights?
what size do you carry?
what in order of priority are the best accessories to get for the jack not including a mount?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

well there is basically a choice between the 48" and the 60"...the 48" fits on the rack from left to right perfectly...the 60" not so much. the 48" is lighter the only real difference is the height of the lift and how hi you can lift your truck...

as far as accessories...an off road base...slider adapter...thats about all that is actually needed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
well there is basically a choice between the 48" and the 60"...the 48" fits on the rack from left to right perfectly...the 60" not so much. the 48" is lighter the only real difference is the height of the lift and how hi you can lift your truck...

Mike, et al, given what you have/might have used your hi lift for, are the extra 6" between a 42" and 48" really critical...I havent seen one come out "yet" and wonder if it would be the right tool if you're cranking your truck up 40 plus inches...I'm probably showing my ignorance, which is ok, I have plenty to go around...thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:36 pm

no there are no differences...if we get down to brass tacks...there jsut isnt alot of difference in any of them except the height...the other issue of a hi-lift is the fact that IT CAN AND WILL do damage to your truck...just ask FJDarrell....he scarred his truck up nicely using a hi-lift to change a tire on Daniel...truth be known the hi-lift should only be used in the most severe of emergencies...on the other hand had FJDarrel (no fault of his own) had a slider adapter maybe the damage might not have happened.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

as far as accessories...an off road base...slider adapter...thats about all that is actually needed...

NC FJ Driver wrote:
bigdogdewey2 wrote:

Mike, et al, given what you have/might have used your hi lift for, are the extra 6" between a 42" and 48" really critical...I havent seen one come out "yet" and wonder if it would be the right tool if you're cranking your truck up 40 plus inches...I'm probably showing my ignorance, which is ok, I have plenty to go around...thoughts?

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
no there are no differences...if we get down to brass tacks...there jsut isnt alot of difference in any of them except the height...the other issue of a hi-lift is the fact that IT CAN AND WILL do damage to your truck...just ask FJDarrell....he scarred his truck up nicely using a hi-lift to change a tire on Daniel...truth be known the hi-lift should only be used in the most severe of emergencies...on the other hand had FJDarrel (no fault of his own) had a slider adapter maybe the damage might not have happened.

Good discussion. I really like when the jack is mounted to the crossbar on the front bumper. I would assume people who run it that way use a 48". but basically there is no reason why you must have a 60".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 am

the 60" is great but heavier..i believe that Steve Springs from Southeast Overland runs his Hi-lift on the front bumper..someone correct me if im wrong...the issue with that is blocking your lights im sure it can be overcome...the roofrack mount is more popular..i know it would be hard to get to if the truck was off camber and back end was up high..it is heavy so you take the chance of scratching the roof if your not careful...i know i already have..LOL...ive also seen rear bumpers with mounts that stands it up straight..pretty cool...whatever you do do not store it inside unless it is actually bolted down...that thing will kill you if you had an emergency or accident...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

I second the suggestion for the slider adapter and base. Earlier this week I tried to use my Hi-Lift to jack up my rig for the skid install and in my level garage without the slider adapter all the Hi-Lift jack wants to do is angle towards the truck and create body damage just like what happened to FJDarrel on Daniel. With the adapter in place it actually works as expected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
the 60" is great but heavier..i believe that Steve Springs from Southeast Overland runs his Hi-lift on the front bumper..someone correct me if im wrong...the issue with that is blocking your lights im sure it can be overcome...the roofrack mount is more popular..i know it would be hard to get to if the truck was off camber and back end was up high..it is heavy so you take the chance of scratching the roof if your not careful...i know i already have..LOL...ive also seen rear bumpers with mounts that stands it up straight..pretty cool...whatever you do do not store it inside unless it is actually bolted down...that thing will kill you if you had an emergency or accident...

Sup! (I'm in a whacky mood this morning. I guess the coffee was a bit strong...)

Yup, I run my Hi-Lift on my front MetalTech bumper. It doesn't interfere with the lights. I keep it there rather than on my roof b/c my rig is already top heavy enough with a RTT, rack, lights, gas, etc up top. I had what my wheeling buddies characterize as about a dozen "significantly tippy incidents" in 2012 and a few of those almost put me on my side, one did dent my roof, so I try not to further encourage an even higher center of gravity.

Keeping a Hi-Lift on the outside of your vehicle also means you will need to extra so make sure the sucker is maintained properly. They are dangerous enough as is. My FJ dropped off of a Hi-Lift even though the Hi-Lift had been meticulously maintained. I was using proper technique so all that happened is a scratched door and bruised hand but it could have been much worse. With that being said I also carry a bottle jack and will use it long before I pull up a Hi-Lift. I've used both before to recenter my rear axle after I tried to rip it out from under my FJ so it isn't a bad idea to carry both.

The 60" give you a bit more reach than the 48" BUT you get VERY high at that last 12" and the rating on Hi-Lifts also is less at that top 12". I run a 48" for my FJ on 33's and my FJ55 on 35s. I've never run out of height. A longer jack does help if you are winching with a Hi-Lift but I'll pull out MAXTRAX long before I start winching with a Hi-Lift. I do not like one bit having my head right in the path of recoil if a line snaps if jacking with a Hi-Lift. It can be done but I don't do it.

There are also 3 models of Hi-Lift, the black combination of cast and stamped parts, red all cast, and Extreme. For the $$$ the standard red is the best bet.

Shameless plug, Southeast Overland has 48" and 60" all cast red Hi-Lifts in stock, along with off road bases, Lift Mates, and Handle Keepers. All are nice to have. I suggest the Handle Keeper when you buy a Hi-Lift to keep the handle from rattling and annoying the fool out of you. The base is nice to give you a larger support base but is not 100% necessary, and the LIftMate allows you to lift a wheel which is nice if you need to stack rocks under a tire.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:40 pm

thanks for the reply on the front mounting of the hi-lift ...good to know that the jack does not interfere with the lights...is there a way you could post a pic of how high yours is mounted..im sure there are those out there with aftermarket bumpers that might have the idea to do the same. ive had the question posed to me about mounting a hi -lift on one of my bumpers for a customer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 am

So much good info.
SEO, Thanks for all of that I had no idea the colors even meant anything. Shameless plug or not that was a great post.

Thanks everyone else for all the input, it has definitely helped me and I'm sure it will help someone else down the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:11 am

No matter what size you get I have two suggestions

Get a real Hi-Lift, avoid the copy cats as the ones I have seen are inferior.

PRACTICE using it on a flat level surface. These jack are dangerous on a good day. I saw one guy catch the handle in the jaw years back when he lost grip of it while jacking down. If you can use the standard bottle jack, use it before using the Hi-lift.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 pm

planemechFJ wrote:
So much good info.
SEO, Thanks for all of that I had no idea the colors even meant anything. Shameless plug or not that was a great post.

Thanks everyone else for all the input, it has definitely helped me and I'm sure it will help someone else down the road.

You are very welcome.

NCFJ1 wrote:
No matter what size you get I have two suggestions

Get a real Hi-Lift, avoid the copy cats as the ones I have seen are inferior.

This.

NCFJ1 wrote:
PRACTICE using it on a flat level surface. These jack are dangerous on a good day. I saw one guy catch the handle in the jaw years back when he lost grip of it while jacking down. If you can use the standard bottle jack, use it before using the Hi-lift.

And this. A Hi-Lift, or any farm style jack's handle can lay you out, break a jaw, or even worse. I use one when I have to. I don't use them to winch or anything else fancy. I use my bottle jack at least as much as I do my Hi-Lift. They are good tools, but like any tool need to be used properly.
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:29 pm

SEO, PM me a quote on a 48" Extreme please. I don't see them on your site but assume as dealer you can get one.
I'm not in a real big rush. Let me know.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 am

NCFJ1 wrote:
These jack are dangerous on a good day. I saw one guy catch the handle in the jaw years back when he lost grip of it while jacking down. If you can use the standard bottle jack, use it before using the Hi-lift.

True story! I had a buddy several years back who was jacking a F-150 up and didn't push down far enough for it to click on the next notch. When he let off the handle came back up and knocked him out cold. Another guy with us thought for sure he was dead. Definitely practice in a controlled setting before using one out on the trail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:16 am

planemechFJ wrote:
SEO, PM me a quote on a 48" Extreme please. I don't see them on your site but assume as dealer you can get one.
I'm not in a real big rush. Let me know.
Thanks

Done and thanks for the purchase!

BTW we typically only stock the red, all cast models but we are placing a reorder mid January and can get you any model you would like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi-lift jacks?   

Back to top Go down

Hi-lift jacks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1