Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

will you be attending ride and dinner meet.
URE RIDE and Class
54%
 54% [ 44 ]
Dinner
46%
 46% [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 81

AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:07 am

Fiji.. yes there is a possibility of the dinner portion of the event being held somewhere other than High Point or Gboro.  Right now as we are in the initial stages of this we jist dont know for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
codename607
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 am

Attending this event would give me a great reason to come home for a week. And also be good to meet some of you guys. The 28th works best for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jester812
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm in on the 28th for both the ride and meet and greet. My dad will be with me. We're looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asdfate
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:13 pm

I'd love to attend, seems like the perfect first offroad event.  Unfortunately, I have drill on the 7th and I'm on a cruise with the wife on the 28th.  I hope we might do it again in the spring!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 pm

i need to confer with several folks but i should have an announcement about dates and times tonight. Stay tuned!!

i am very very excited about the interest in this event.  We are really trying to get a lot more folks involved in off roading. and doing it safely and by the rules.  This is also to show folks that driving off road can be done and done well even in a bone stock truck.  Learning how to pick the correct line, learning the basics of spotting for other drivers, knowing how and when to use the skinny pedal, the brake and so on.  Also learning the limits of your particular vehicle.  Feeling the vehicle rock to one side or the other and realizing you ARE NOT going to "flip".  A lot of first timers get nervous when the vehicle rocks more than what it would normally rock on a straight flat road.  There are many things that first timers can and will learn from this event.  Including dont ride behind ME because my horn goes off unexpectedly sometimes.  Seriously though the knowledge gained at an event like this is immeasurable.

In the past our Eat-n-Greets have been a huge success and a ton of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

i am very very excited about the interest in this event.  We are really trying to get a lot more folks involved in off roading. and doing it safely and by the rules.  This is also to show folks that driving off road can be done and done well even in a bone stock truck.  Learning how to pick the correct line, learning the basics of spotting for other drivers, knowing how and when to use the skinny pedal, the brake and so on.  Also learning the limits of your particular vehicle.  Feeling the vehicle rock to one side or the other and realizing you ARE NOT going to "flip".  A lot of first timers get nervous when the vehicle rocks more than what it would normally rock on a straight flat road.  There are many things that first timers can and will learn from this event.  Including dont ride behind ME because my horn goes off unexpectedly sometimes.  Seriously though the knowledge gained at an event like this is immeasurable.

Which the FJ definitely has a tendency to do...the rockin' not the tippin' that is! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Very true Paul...no denying that at all...but learning to understand it and control it is the key...you should join us on this ride...having some other experienced drivers out there would be nice...plus ...we can have a beer after at dinner!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Well folks we have an announcement to make.  We will be scheduling this event for the 28th of September.  We looked at the interest level and concluded that there were more people available for the 28th than the 7th.  Most every one was able to do both but since there seemed to be more we decided to go with that date.  For those of you that cannot make the 28th please do not be discouraged as we will be planning a different trip as soon as we can following the first.  It may in fact be the spring of 2014 due to several holidays and URE closing for winter.  We will be updating the OP to reflect the date and time for the ride as well as times and places to meet and the restuarant we will be attending for the Eat-n-Greet.  We apologize to those who will not be able to attend on the 28th.   We have conferred with Steve Springs with Southeast Overland and he is for sure going to be there to teach his class.  
  We look forward to seeing and meeting you all there. This will be a great event.  Families are more than welcome and are all invited.  This is a kid friendly event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 pm

i may have just done a little happy dance in my chair at work... im excited! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Thats great Lacey...love the enthusiasm...please make sure you vote in the poll on the first page and OP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:20 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
...you should join us on this ride...
still a little far out to commit, hoping to make it for sure...been since the night ride...hmmm, might have to consider a night/warm up ride that Friday...
bigdogdewey2 wrote:
...having some other experienced drivers out there would be nice...
I'm not too sure experienced always means knowledgeable in my case...really! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Paul regardless of your self perceived experience we would love to have you out there with us.  Im looking forward to seeing you there. There its done!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejcagle
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Depending on the start time, we'll probably need some lodging recommendations.  I just did the "directions" function on google and it's about a 4 hour drive from here to there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 pm

well the plan at this point is start time of around 11 am...may be a bit later but keep 11 in mind.
As far as lodging what do you want? All kinds of choices.  At this point however the Dinner hasnt been completely planned.  We are working on a sizable place to accommodate the numbers and good food and location.  We will have that info as soon as we have info on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 am

Hey Mike, do you have a projected number of attendees?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:38 am

no not as of yet but if i had to guess id say maybe 15-20?
could be a lot more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

i will commit to the dinner plans once i find out if i can switch my schedule on sunday. its a 3.5 hr drive and leaving after dinner would but me home really late or early depending on how you look at it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 pm

thats fine Lacey and we totally understand.  Hopefully you will be able to get the next day off.  

I have actually considered hosting the Eat-n-Greet at my house.  i would need to get some stuff done yard wise to do it and i dont know if that can happen.  We have 4.5 acres of land with a small stocked pond and 90% of it is fields.  Was thinking about grilling a thousand burgers and hotdogs and other stuff.  everyone parking in the field. fish a little, cornhole a little. so on and so forth.  The main concern for me would be the weather and whether or not i can get the fields cleaned up enough to make it worth it.  It would be cheaper for everyone as i would ask that anyone coming jsut give me a few dollars to cover the expense of burgers, dogs, buns, and anything else.  I even thought of BYOM (bring your own meat) and we would grill it here...i have this inkling to buy this new grill i have my eyes on...

may just be some serious wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TacoWillie
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 am

I'm in Mike. If you decide to host at your house let me know,I'll be glad to give you a hand. But if not There are a couple places in Albemarle that is pretty close to URE. I believe there are a couple hotels also. And of course plenty of camp sites in the area and at URE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:03 am

Talked to the boss (wife) this weekend and it looks like we will be making the trail ride and the dinner. Assuming my shock is back even though they should have it Monday, nothing would surprise me at this point. We will probably be staying the night also as we are about 2hrs out of Greensboro. How far is URE from Greensboro?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejcagle
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:58 am

I'm in, it's now just a matter of how long of a day the wife and kid can handle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Droop07FJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Wife, Munchkin and I are in. Really looking forward to it. Will be perfect for getting us ready for the Summit next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 pm

MCRobertson wrote:
Talked to the boss (wife) this weekend and it looks like we will be making the trail ride and the dinner. Assuming my shock is back even though they should have it Monday, nothing would surprise me at this point. We will probably be staying the night also as we are about 2hrs out of Greensboro. How far is URE from Greensboro?

URE is about an hour from Greensboro. I'm in Danville and it takes just about two hours for me to get there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 pm

We have some absolutely wonderful news!!

On top of an already good day at work something happened to make it amazing. We think you will all like this one.  

We have been approached by a group who have asked to be involved with this event.  They are going to SPONSOR this event!!! In talking with their representative we realized that there are some really great ideas that they may cover for us.  If we could go into more detail  right now you all would realize just how exciting this actually is.  This is going to be a "can't miss" event.  

Another great thing is Southeast Overland has offered to bring swag bags for everyone who attends this!! 

Please stay tuned because we will have more news and details on all of this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H2O_Cruiser
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm planning on attending but kids soccer schedules may come into play. Sounds like its gonna be a good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event   

Back to top Go down

1st Annual New to Offroad Driving plus Eat-n-Greet Event
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next