Share | 

Quick Discos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Quick Discos   Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Is anyone disconnecting their rear sway bar when on the trail?

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

I usually take off my front sway bar all together for trail riding. Never messed with the rear but longer links for the rear would be good. A couple of venders make the longer ones but they run around $90.00. I think if you can use longer bushings to extend the stock link down it might be of benefit and little cost. Thinking of getting some Moog thermoplastic ones that will work for our application soon. Not a disconect but this will lengthen the link a tad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: rear discos   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

i have been playing around with it in my head....i have been thinking that the next ride are URE i will disconnect the rear swaybar ...just to see what happens...i may also take the front off...im not totally sure i should do the front ..but hey if it doesnt work ..it doesnt work...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

The front is worth it. It also helps keep the rear tires on the ground and body more level during flexing. The rear might help a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm back to thinking about this. I saw in the Blue Room a guy made some quick discos for the rear from a set originally used on a Jeep. Should be the same.

Did anyone ever give it a try? Removing and or disconnecting.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: sway bar   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I have completely removed the rear..and will probably remove the front...may be a little loose on the highway... but willing to give it a shot...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm

I dont run either. The front made a fairly big difference but I dont mind it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:45 pm

You both removed them completely? Does it not feel a little top heavy when cornering on the highway...

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 am

Yes and it definitely made a difference. Took a little while to get used to but i guess i changed my driving habits a little lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 am

I have never even heard of this till now. I am assuming the benefits are purely for off road? And if so, Is it really wort it for how much time you spend on road to off road?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: discos   Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

i cant tell a single bit that the rear is off...there is almost to no difference in the handling with just the rear off ..personally i cant attest to the front i havent removed it yet, Brian (autosolutions) has told me that it it s little more top heavy feeling with both removed and he drives 80 to 100 miles a day. As far as being worth it...well i personally would say yes...if any of you have ridden with me i think you can attest to the fact that i will try the harder line, and the harder line tends to need more flex. So i will be removing the front and its easier to do it one time and change my cornering habits than to have to remove it everytime i go out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Good to know. I will have to do some more reading on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 am

The fronts worth it for sure off road Very Happy on road there is a differance in street performance. If you are running a stock suspension this will be more noticeable on the street with more body roll in turns but it actually soaks up the bumps smoother then with it on. This happens because the suspension does not effect the other side while suspension cycles or travels up/down. With the sway bar on both sides are tied together, thus effecting eachside over bumps. Also, the sway bar is limiting the travel while off road allowing for more flex when you need it and it helps with keeping the vehicles wheels on the ground when articulating. Just my experiance with it on verses off.

Since mine is a DD i pop my sway bar on/off when i go on off road trips. When i get some coilovers then i might just ditch the sway bar all together. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Long time since I thought about this. I was removing tin this past weekend and looked at the front swaybar and how simple it would be to remove. But I didn't...who has removed there front and/or rear swaybar and what do you think as far as handling on the highway and improvements off road. I took my rear off a long time ago.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:58 am

BUMP for more info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Looks like ONE was made....and never went much further lol. Good idea though

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/86949-swaybar-disconnect-check-out.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Bummer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Discos   

Back to top Go down