Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison

PostSubject: Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch Review    Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Original thread to original winch purchase over on the BlueRoom: Winch Decision

The winch install was simple enough. It was a little tricky arranging the solenoid to fit beside the winch inside the Demello bumper.

A few weeks ago I used the winch for the first time and it pulled flawlessly. I think it will be strong enough for anything I will throw at it...

Newest update:

I went to use the winch for the second time ever this weekend. I free spooled the line out, engaged the winch and pressed "line in".....nothing! The remote button lit up but no clicking or motor movement. I pressed the "line out" button and it worked perfectly.

At this point, I'm just glad I wasn't in a situation where I really needed the winch. I wrapped the winch line around my bumper and headed back to the house.

I was installing the roof rack yesterday and a guy at the shop mentioned he had the same winch. So, I explained why I had the winch line wrapped around my bumper and he said he has had the same exact thing happen several times. He said just tap on the solenoid and it will fire right up. :thinkerg: I probably should have tried this but didn't really take the time to troubleshoot the winch yet.

Sure enough, tapping on the solenoid worked like a charm and I was able to winch in the line. I did some research online and this seems to be a common problem with some Smittybilt winches:cowfrown: Smittybilt warranties their products, so I will file a claim for a new solenoid but it's just a PITA to remove the bumper for a solenoid change. I may relocate it to the engine bay during this process... If the second solenoid fails I will buy an aftermarket solenoid or sell the winch for something else.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy a Smittybilt winch. If I need the winch to work, I shouldn't have to tap on the solenoid...

Maybe if someone is on the fence about a Smittybilt, this will help them make their decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: smittybilt   Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 am

i dont have a winch yet, and reading what you have written has helped me make my decision. I had read quite a ibt of "bad" print about the Smittybilt line of winches and even read a head to head comparison a major publication did and the smittybilt failed epicly...rarely read anything positive abou the winches from smittybilt.

If you are looking for another winch might i suggest looking at ENGO winches? in that same head to head comparison it was picked as the best bang and buy for your buck...a 10k winch around $450 or so...i heave read more on them and i have decided that ENGO is the winch that i will get...

you also have to remember that the vast majority of winches nowadays is manufactured overseas...CHINA...lowest bidder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison

PostSubject: Re: Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch Review    Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 am

I've never heard of ENGO before. What distributors carry them?

If this one fails to perform again after the solenoid change, I will be looking for a new winch. Honestly, I will probably just spend the extra coin for the Warn...but it's too early to tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch Review    

Back to top Go down

Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1